Tuesday, November 1, 2011

NaNoWriMo... and biting off more than you can chew

For the entire month of October, I would think about NaNoWriMo (which starts today) and say, "nope, can't do it. Not this year." And with good reason. I'm wrapping up edits for Cold Blood. I'm publishing a book this month! I have nothing to feel guilty for, because you can't get much more productive than that. So I would tell myself no and then keep it moving... because on top of publishing a book, I'm cooking a baby... so yeah 'nuff said on the productivity meter.

But then I looked at the calender and saw that it is 11/1 and I'm starting to itch a little in the tips of my fingers... and at the edges of my mind. The dark edges; the places where stories come from...

And I think I might want to try it. 50,000 words in 30 days... Sounds only slightly unattainable with my current schedule... but I think I want to try anyway. Because I realized that part of me was saying no because I thought I wouldn't be able to finish. But what kind of insecure wimp only starts things they KNOW they won't fail at?? That's just cowardly.

So I'm going to try it. The question now is.... what story to write? It needs to be fun and fresh and new- a total brain exercise. That way, I'm inspired enough to write my 2k words a day whether I'm exhausted or busy or whatever. So I need to go and daydream now.

Happy NaNoWriMo!!

And if you don't know what NaNoWriMo is, click here to find out: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

It's the best writing experience ever. And it's how I wrote Dirty Blood ;)

Who else is doing it this year?


4 comments:

  1. Hi Heather! I am joining you on this journey of literary abandonment. This is my 9th year doing it. I've done it with one baby and while pregnant with a baby (oldest was 14 months). So I wish you luck with everything you do this month. :) I hope your day is exceptionally inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to say I'm not doing it this year. Maybe next year? I hate to make excuses, but I have way too much on the go right now. Not as much as you by the sounds of it, but I hate to start a new project when I'm in the middle of writing one, and outlining another.

    I'm hoping to gear up for it next year, and use it as a time to spill out most of the first draft for a future series I've been toying with in my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the middle of editing, working on a pitch to two publishers this month. Maybe next year.

    Good luck, though. I've done it in the past (awhile ago). Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray for NaNo! And i say that with a tad bit of sarcasm since this is my first one :)

    ReplyDelete